Ways to Give
Do you 26.2? Apply here to join the WITS 2014 NYC Marathon Team and help us make public schools healthy and happy places to learn and grow!
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Wellness in the Schools works with Whole Foods Market to provide Extra Virgin Olive Oil for use in our WITS Labs, and encourages our schools to supply their kitchens with olive oil whenever possible. Olive oil is a natural juice that is derived from the olive. It is an all natural product, as compared with other cooking oils. Olive oil has the largest amount of heart healthy monounsaturated fat compared to all other naturally produced oils and adds a wonderful, light flavor to foods.
- Donate 1 month of WFM Extra Virgin Olive Oil: $25
- Donate 1 semester (4 months) of WFM Extra Virgin Olive Oil: $100
- Donate 1 school year of WFM Extra Virgin Olive Oil: $200
WITS Tote by Seabags
WITS has partnered with Seabags to offer this limited edition tote bag. In classic white with the WITS logos- apple, leaf, heart- this is the perfect bag for taking to the market, the beach, or the gym. Seabags uses recycled sails collected from sailors and sailing communities around the world, designing and manufacturing bags, totes and accessories in Maine, on Portland’s working waterfront. Sea Bags offers retired sails another life by turning them into handmade one-of-a-kind nautical-inspired pieces. 100% of your purchase goes toward Wellness in the Schools' Cook, Coach, and Green for Kids programs.
- WITS Tote by Seabags: $150
Water is the best beverage for staying hydrated and hydration is important for staying mentally alert. Providing the Water Jet to a school ensures that students have a chance to stay hydrated with cold NYC water—an alternative to higher-calorie options such as soda, sports drinks, fruit juice, and milk. As a bonus, the water jet is an environmentally-friendly and low-cost alternative to water bottles (8 out of 10 plastic water bottles ends up in a landfill).
- Donate a Water Jet: $1,000
Both academic research and on the ground experience in schools across the country are increasingly demonstrating that school children significantly increase their consumption of fruits and vegetables when given a variety of choices in a school salad bar. When offered multiple fruit and vegetable choices, children respond by trying new items, incorporating greater variety into their diets, and increasing their daily consumption of fruits and vegetables.
- Donate a Salad Bar: $4,500
Coach for Kids Equipment
Coach for Kids operates in the recess yards of NYC public schools. Our trained coaches work to encourage the least active children to engage in fun and healthy physical activities. WITS coaches inspire and mentor children while teaching them basic sport-specific skills and developing engaging games in which they can use those skills. Your donation will provide basic sports and activity equipment to our coaches so that they can more effectively get kids moving during recess.
- Donate Coach for Kids equipment for 1 school: $250
- Donate Coach for Kids equipment for 5 schools $1,250
Sponsor WITS Labs
The WITS Labs are the component of the Cook for Kids program that takes place in the classroom. Interactive cooking and nutrition demonstrations are incorporated into the school day for children. In the WITS Labs our WITS-in-Residence Cooks introduce children to seasonal produce and have them prepare and taste the produce in a variety of ways: raw, roasted and in a recipe. Recipes are given to children to take home and at least one of the recipes is prepared in the cafeteria during the tasting week.
- Sponsor 1 WITS Lab: $750
- Sponsor 1 school year of WITS Labs: $3,000
Sponsor a School
- Sponsor 1 school year of Coach for Kids in a school: $15,000
- For $15,000 you can sponsor a year of the Coach for Kids program in a public school. For an entire school year, we will place a trained coach in the recess yard to play with the children. They engage the least active children, innovate fun activities in schools with little to no outdoor space or equipment, and help to prevent playground bullying.
- Sponsor 1 school year of Cook for Kids in a school: $30,000
- For $30,000 you can sponsor a year of the Cook for Kids program in a school; most WITS schools are at a poverty level of 70% or higher. For an entire school year, we will place a trained culinary school graduate in a public school (a WITS in Residence cook) to cook from scratch in the kitchen, to engage and inspire children during lunch, and to teach culinary concepts in the classroom. We also implement a a new menu that eliminates overly processed food. In most of our schools, $30,000 a year amounts to $50/year per child. After three years, the program runs on its own with ongoing support from WITS. We recommend at least a three year commitment for participating schools.
- Sponsor 1 school year of both Cook and Coach for Kids in a school: $45,000
- Give a school a complete healthy lunch hour experience by sponsoring the Cook and Coach programs for one year.
- Click here to donate toward sponsoring a school
Make a General Donation
Click here to donate to WITS and your donation will be allocated towards areas of the greatest need. Most public schools only allocate $.90 per child for lunch, so every penny donated goes a very long way.*One semester in NYC public schools is approximately 5 months